No Entry For Crimnials into politics

http://epaperarchive.timesofindia.com/Repository/ml.asp?ref=VE9JTS8yMDA0LzA5LzI5I0FyMDMxMDE=&Mode=HTML&Locale=english-skin-custom


Publication:Times Of India Mumbai;
Date:Sep 29, 2004;
Section:Bombay Times;
Page Number:31
No entry for crime
Social activist Deelip Mhaske feels criminalisation is at the root of all development issues
I am: Deelip Mhaske, member of Loksatta an NGO aiming for clean governance and to increase citizen’s participation in government. 26 years of age, I have done research on landless labourers in Maharashtra and help the state government carry out reforms for landless labourers based on my research. This election, I want: Criminals out of politics. I feel that criminalisation is the root cause of all development issues. I came to this conclusion while doing my research, when I found that many corrupt politicians had grabbed land through benami. (Benami is where the land is in the name of a fictitious person). The rampant practice of benami records is obstructing a governmental scheme to purchase land to distribute to 18 lakh landless labourers in the state. I am campaigning against criminals getting tickets: We have written to political parties asking them not to field chargesheeted candidates, though not all are receptive to the idea. Also, we along with Anna Hazare, are jointly carrying out a campaign against criminals in politics. Hazare is travelling throughout , spreading the anti-corruption message. People should not vote for criminals: People should not vote for a candidate if they know him/her to be a criminal, even if his/her record is clean. Assembly constituencies are small, and people come to know what their leaders are involved in. They should use their judgement.

Comments

Popular Posts